Thursday 21 March 2013

Our real nappy trial.


Last month Huggies announced that they were withdrawing their nappies of the market in Europe. It was a bad surprise for us since we had bought Huggies for Lilly since she was one and a half month. Prior to that Pampers fitted her better but they became too saggy at the legs in bigger sizes. Huggies were not only a great fit, they were so cheap compared to other brands near to us.
Simon and I were not too keen to start with the idea of real nappies when Lilly was first born, I did not like the idea of a big pin next to my baby's tummy and Simon was already picturing the flat filled with dirty nappies. They also seemed to be quite the investment.


However now that Lilly is eight months old and the choice in nappies has gone down we decided to revisit the idea of the real nappies. I found an amazing deal on Amazon ( if you are interested here is a link: Yellow bloom real nappies ) and decided to buy a few to try. They are amazing! 



They look pretty cute on Lilly and can grow with her. They have clips so you put them on like disposable nappies, very straightforward. They wash easily and dry quickly, you can also tumble dry them. They are very affordable and pretty efficient when used with inserts and disposable liners. I just love them! Of course there are some disadvantages as well. You need to be very well organised, real nappies do get full faster than disposables so you need to change them more often. You might prefer to have some disposables when you go out or at night to make sure baby doesn't wake up because of the discomfort of a full nappy. We use the real ones during the day and disposables at night ( Lilly sleeps a whole night so I am not jeopardizing that), if we go out and want to use them we take an extra change of clothes just in case. If we go for a long journey we still prefer to use the disposables.
I have reorganised my laundry during the week to run a load once a day and keep myself from having dirty nappies around. Plus that way I get to organise my little baskets in Lilly's room so it looks lovely everyday!



They have not been a problem for Lilly, she is very sensitive and they are so soft, she hasn't developed any rashes because of them which was one of my first concerns. She has managed to stand by herself and do all of her regular activities with them.



I think they are amazing, these nappies look great and are nowhere the nightmare I expected. They actually force me to keep on top of things. I still would not only use them, as I said a good night of sleep for the whole family is priceless and that way we only really use one disposable per night so we are saving on nappies. I do not regret trying them. I'm not sure I would use them for an under two months old babies but after that I would use them again. Simon is thrilled with them too and that is the ultimate point in favour for hem that I have. I'm happy we tried!

And look how cute Lilly looks in them:




2 comments:

  1. What a cute little angel! :)
    I wanted to try this kind of nappies too, but as you say it's quite an investment (most of them cost like 10euros a piece) and we had so much to buy at the time (I must say I have regrets we spent so much money on the new room furniture as we could buy almost everything second hand). And later on it wasn't really worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty lucky, the seller I mentioned has them from £2.29 to £3.99 each, it costs about £2.50 to ship but you can order as many as you want since the shipping cost is for the whole lot. So we got the whole lot for less than £50! Don't regret buying what you wanted for your baby, you only get that time with each baby once ever and they are worth the very best :)

    ReplyDelete