Friday 15 February 2013

Valentine's Day

Yesterday was Valentine's Day and it was a very good day, full of surprises in so many ways. Originally our plan was to meet up for Simon's long Thursday lunch break, go have a nice meal as a family to a little restaurant called "the Chocolate Factory" and then in the evening watch a nice film once Lilly would be asleep and have a good little dinner, exchange cards. Except that the dear organised people at Simon's university decided that they had not planned their lecture schedule properly for this semester and that Valentine's Day was THE day of the year to add on a few hours exceptionally to catch on. So our little lunch was cancelled and Simon was quite late coming home. Part of me thought I should make the best of it and prepare a nice meal for the evening. Since it was a special occasion, I did not bake anything (for some reasons I can burn a recipe that I have made a dozen times perfectly just because it is a special day or we are getting guests over...)  and I bought Simon a big chocolate cake he had been eyeing for a while. I got a nice bottle of fruit juice, found a film to watch and browsed the shop, congratulating myself in buying a card early as only the ugly ones were left, then I went home to make dinner.
Simon came home and while he was taking care of Lilly (who was pretty good all day, she socialized with a two months old baby girl in the shop, they were smiling and making bubbles at each other) I decided to write his card that I had bought weeks ahead of time and put "somewhere safe". Of course I did not find it "somewhere safe". I started to feel quite overwhelmed by the fact that despite all our plans (that were not the most complicated plans one could come up with for a special day) the whole day seemed to be unfolding terribly. The only Valentine thing that had happened was Lilly being dressed up in pink with little hearts all over her outfit!
Lilly waking up from her nap!
That is when Simon noticed the chocolate cake. He got very excited about it and gave me a huge hug for it (poor him does not get a lot of chocolate cake usually), he was just so happy for something so simple that it did make me even more thankful to be his wife, because he always tries to find a positive side to everything and he and Lilly just make my life so happy and full that I don't need anything as long as we are together. We enjoyed the rest of our evening, some of the chocolate cake. Simon gave me a card and I did not find his until today. He knew I was quite tired and did the final checks of alarm on, door locked, heating off, window closed just so I could get in bed a couple minutes early. I am so thankful for such an amazing husband who makes everyday wonderful, even if life is not easy he is always there for me, he is such a great dad, so patient and kind, he is more than I could have wished for and though our Valentine's Day looked like a normal day full of washing dishes and laundry, it is being with him that made it Valentine's Day and gave meaning to the day.
She does have some amazing facial expressions...

No comments:

Post a Comment