Thursday 10 May 2012

The Health Visitor...

Well, yesterday I had the visit of the Health Visitor. She's a lady whose job is to make sure your baby is fine when she arrives and that you're living in a healthy environement. For some reasons I went quite crazy about that, I started stressing about every little details in the flat for two weeks and the evening before the visit, I forced Simon to start scrubbing, hoovering and folding and tidying EVERYTHING with me...the poor man has the patience of an angel, I'm pretty lucky! So after an entire evening of cleaning on top of my normal everyday routine I started to feel a bit more confident. Then I woke up in the morning and the nightmare started again, Simon though was gone to work so he escaped an entire morning of me double checking that everything was perfect and that the flat was one proof we could welcome a little baby and were going to be good parents...
12 o'clock arrived and I started counting the minutes until the dreaded knock on the door which did not occur until 12:34... I went and opened the door, welcome the lady in who sat down in the living room and introduced herself and started asking me questions about how I was feeling, our situation, what we had organised so far and then some health questions... the health questions were funny because I clearly remember answering them before and I'm pretty curious to know why for instance you are asked for diabetes history in the family and not cancer or heart disease or such... I nearly had to rescue the poor lady from falling off the couch when I answered the diabetes question because she was quite surprised to hear that Simon's family tends to collect diabetes like no other family. I mean, two of his brothers, his dad, three of his uncles and both his grandfathers just as starters...
Anyway after all the questions I was kind of wondering if she was going to ask to check the flat... because you never know, I could well have a nice living room and nothing ready for the baby or even potentially dangerous things hanging off the walls in the other rooms, and I really thought that was the main concern there...but nope... she smiled, said I looked grand and that she would see me after the baby was born and then she left...and all the extra stress I had put myself under was all for nothing... nobody really cared that an hour before I had been kneeling on the floor scrubbing it a bit more to make sure it looked good...so I guess the lesson there is that I should listen to my husband when he says I worry too much and the flat is nice everyday already...

On the bright side if the baby came right now the place would look fantastic...

1 comment:

  1. You made me smile at your desire to be on your best. Nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete